Monday, June 11, 2012

Robin's Nest DT Submission *crosses fingers*

When things go wrong they go really, really wrong!!! I had all intentions to have it posted first thing in the morning as I finished up a project late last night. Unfortunately for me, I ended up screwing my knee up something awful and spending the entire morning in the doctors offices. (Yes, plural! And YAY for me, I'm 35 and have severe arthritis in my left knee (that wouldn't have been found if I hadn't messed my knee up, so I guess in a way it was a good thing... or something like it.) I will be needing total knee replacement, but because I'm only 35, I don't even qualify as a candidate currently and my only ***ONLY*** option is cortisone shots. Seriously...it hurts like h**l folks. I'm not even supposed to be sitting at my computer right now, but I'm determined to get this posted. If it's too late for submission, fine, I think it's still an awesome project and I started it before I even heard about the DT call at Robin's Nest! (Which I have been eyeballing their Dew Drops for a while now! Goodness, I <3 bling!)

Anyway - on to the project!

The template for this mini dresser is available at A Lil Scrap of Heaven. (Monthly subscription of just $1 is required to get access to the template, but it's so worth it! These ladies are *AMAZING* I <3 this site almost as much as I <3 my computer or camera! LOL)

Don't pick on the photos. I'm hopped up on pain killers and only had the lil Kodak not my good Cannon and I sure as heck couldn't walk the block and a half that is my building to go shoot this outside like I normally would. :( In all fairness, these photos are horrible, I apologize now! LOL

When I picked up Graphic 45's Communique paper I was in love INSTANTLY! I have been hoarding this pack for just the right projects. I think this paper is perfect for the mini dresser (that now holds all of my lil chipboard die cuts!) I just adore the vintage feel and the writing and old advertisements. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fool for harlequin patterns either! *le sigh* Don't get me started on fleur de lis either! LOL 

I did a lot of glitter glue swirlies on this. I've been getting more and more into sparkle, bling, glitter lately. Oh the irony since I'm not a girly girl! And another new favorite of mine is iamroses.com flowers. OMG!!!! The photos do not do these flowers justice! (A side note, the white and off white ones color really well no matter if you're using Glimmer Mist or paint.) I think I have stuck a few on all of the projects I've done recently! I'm so gonna have to order again soon!) 











Products Used:
Graphic 45 Communique paper pack (School Days paper pack - ABC stamp paper)
iamroses.com flowers
Recollections bling
Stickles & Studio G glitter glue
7 Gypsies washi tape
Princess Crown die cut (don't remember the manufacturer off hand)
Ranger Glossy and Crackle Accents
Fleur de Lis from a pack in Michael's dollar bins
Drawer pulls and "feet" are from The Dollar Store (pack of "table scatters")


Wanna make your own? Easy!!! Just download the template from A Lil Scrap of Heaven and cut it out on chipboard (or like me, cereal boxes!) add paper and decorations and viola!! 

Technique tip: Weathered Fleur de Lis 
Step 1. Paint chipboard cut out with a base layer (any color, mine was red.)
Step 2. Paint again with top color (any color, mine was black) 
Step 3. When dry, sand lightly with fine grit sand paper or emery board. 
Step 4. Coat with Crackle Accents, Tim Holts Distress Crackle Paint or similar. (I used clear, but you could use a colored crackle paint if you wanted a third color.) 
Step 5. WAIT! Seriously, don't use your heat gun to speed up the crackle finish. I learned this the heard way a long time ago. It creates bubbles under the top "skin" and it won't crackle right or becomes cloudy. 


Project posted for entry into The Robin's Nest Design Team
The Robin's Nest Blog

1 comment:

Proxxon Tools said...

thank you for your submission to be on the Robin Nest Design team